Womxn's Night Clinic Volunteer
Volunteer Position Summary
The Womxn’s Night Clinic Volunteer plays a vital role in supporting cis & trans womxn in the Downtown Eastside (DTES) in accessing health care in a safe and woman-only environment. Womxn’s Night Clinic takes place every on weekdays (Tuesday | Wednesday | Thursday) from 5:00pm – 8:00pm at VCH Community Health Centres, see schedule below. Womxn’s Night Clinic provides free and confidential clinical and supportive services for women including counseling, testing and connections to resources. The evening includes dinner at 5:00pm, the distribution of clothing donations (DCHC only) and different activities depending on the theme for the evening. Volunteers are very much a part of the evening, welcoming and chatting with the women attending, participating in the activities, ensuring that everyone is included and has the opportunity to participate as much as they want.
- Chat and connect with the women attending Womxn’s Night Clinic.
- Assist with serving the evening meal.
- Assist with activity for the evening (e.g. games night, beauty night, movie night) where needed.
- Excellent communication skills, approachable and able to make conversation.
- Ability to work with others as well as independently.
- Must be minimum 19 years of age or older.
- Ability to work well in groups and take a leadership role.
- Patient, understanding and respectful.
- Non-judgement toward the diverse populations accessing the clinic (e.g. Indigenous women, women who use drugs, sex workers, women navigating poverty, women navigating mental health challenges, queer women, trans womxn and non-binary folk).
- Knowledge of services, resources and organizations in the local community helpful.
- Adherence to Vancouver Coastal Health Volunteer Guidelines.
- Criminal Record Check
- 2 Professional references.
- VCH Mandatory Training
- VCH Orientation to the Role
- VCH Handbook
- Site & Position Orientation
- Exposure to the Community Health Centre setting
- Interaction with staff and clients
- Opportunities for ongoing training and education, including workshops