WISH Drop-In Volunteer
Our self-identified female volunteers, 19 and over, perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to, helping to serve and prepare a hot, nutritious meal; sorting and dispensing clothing, make-up and toiletries donations; helping women sign up for showers and access shelters as well as some light janitorial duties and, of course, the opportunity to connect one on one with the women who access the centre. Wish would not be able to operate without the dedication and commitment of our many volunteers. The volunteers at WISH are integral to the planning and operation of many of our services and programs. Volunteers work along side staff in serving meals, organizing donations, passing out make-up and toiletries, working in the Learning Centre and creating a welcoming, caring environment for women.
Volunteers work alongside staff in:
- prepping and serving meals alongside the kitchen staff
- organizing donations of clothing and makeup into respective rooms
- restocking and passing out make-up and toiletries through the makeup room
- restocking and opening the clothing room to invite women in to select donated items
- creating a welcoming, caring environment for women
- able to perform physical tasks such as carrying and moving heavy boxes, sweeping and mopping, using a step ladder, and working in a commercial kitchen
- light cleaning duties
- able to stay calm in a chaotic environment, while actively listen without judgement.
- shadowing and assisting in other programs run out of the Drop-In such as the learning centre, beauty nights and etc.
We are looking for non-judgemental, open-minded self-identified female volunteers, 19 and over. We require all prospective volunteers to attend an orientation along with attending three buddy shifts, before beginning their volunteer experience with us. We ask volunteers to commit a minimum of 6 months with 2 shifts a month. Long-term commitments are an asset.
Attend a 1.5 hour orientation on the third or fourth Thursday of every month @ 5:15pm.
After completing the minimum requirement of 6 months, with 2 shifts a month including one on a Friday or Saturday, volunteers can ask for a reference or confirmation of hours letter. Volunteers acquire direct front line experience and practice skills related to working with a vulnerable population. Adult self-identified Female Volunteers (19 and above) We would also like to note that volunteering for the purpose of gaining research or information for projects in not allowed.