WISH Drop-In Volunteer
Our self-identified women volunteers, 19+ years of age, perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to, helping to serve and prepare a hot, nutritious meal; sorting and dispensing clothing, makeup and toiletries donations; helping women sign up for showers and access shelters, some light janitorial duties, and of course, the opportunity to connect one-on-one with the women who access the Drop-In. Volunteers work alongside staff in serving meals, organizing donations, passing out make-up and toiletries, working in the Learning Centre, and creating a welcoming, caring environment for all women using our services.
WISH would not be able to operate without the dedication and commitment of our many dedicated volunteers. The volunteers at WISH are integral to the planning and operation of many of our services and programs.
To access the Volunteer Application form, please go to https://wish-vancouver.net/get-involved/volunteer
Volunteers work alongside staff in:
- prepping and serving meals alongside the kitchen staff
- organizing donations of clothing and makeup into respective rooms
- restocking and passing out make-up and toiletries through the makeup room
- restocking and opening the clothing room to invite women in to select donated items
- creating a welcoming, caring environment for women
- able to perform physical tasks such as carrying and moving heavy boxes, sweeping and mopping, using a step ladder, and working in a commercial kitchen
- light cleaning duties
- facilitating activities directly in the Drop-In space, such as games, arts and crafts, etc.
- able to stay calm in a chaotic environment, while actively listen without judgment
- shadowing and assisting in other programs run out of the Drop-In such as the learning centre, beauty nights, etc.
- Must be a self-identified woman
- Must be 19 years of age or over
- Familiarity with harm reduction services is an asset
- Familiarity with the Vancouver Downtown Eastside is an asset
- Front-line support experience is an asset
To access the Volunteer Application form, please go to https://wish-vancouver.net/get-involved/volunteer/
All prospective volunteers must attend a mandatory 1.5 hour orientation before beginning volunteer experience. Orientations take place monthly, generally on the 3rd or 4th Thursday each month at 5:15pm.
After completing the minimum requirement of 6 months, with 2 shifts a month including one on a Friday or Saturday, volunteers can ask for a reference or confirmation of hours letter. Volunteers acquire direct front-line experience, and practice skills related to working with vulnerable populations. Adult self-identified women volunteers (19 and above) only.
Volunteering at WISH for the purpose of gaining research or information for projects is prohibited.