Weekday Special Event Volunteer
Little Mountain Place (LMP) is a 117-residential bed care home for seniors. It is located in the heart of the Little Mountain neighbourhood in East Vancouver, close to the Main Street Corridor and Queen Elizabeth Park. Individual resident rooms are situated on the second and third floors, with the second floor offering a 26-bed Special Care Unit called “The Garden Terrace.”
Residents living at LMP have diverse needs, complex physical and/or mental health needs and come from diverse cultural backgrounds. Our residents are supported to live to their fullest ability through a person-centred approach to care.
Little Mountain Place has a wide variety of weekday special events for their elders, including outings, musical performances, luncheons, and seasonal events. We're looking for volunteers who have flexible weekday morning or afternoon availability to assist our elders and the leisure staff with these fun activities. Activity schedule is emailed out monthly. You can sign up for as many events as you would like to assist with.
-Assist with activity set up as directed by leisure staff.
-Invite and assist elders to and from activity area
-Engage elders, and enhance the social atmosphere through volunteer involvement
-Assist elders and leisure staff during activity as needed.
-Able to assist elders who have physical and/or cognitive challenges.
-Physically capable of pushing elders in wheelchairs and performing physical tasks as required.
-Able to communicate well in verbal and written English.
-Friendly, reliable, patient and respectful.
-Able to follow direction and enjoy teamwork.
-Willingness to listen, learn and develop effective ways to interact with elders.
-Sincere interest in the social needs elders.
-Ability to speak Mandarin or Cantonese an asset but not required
- General orientation session with Volunteer Resources
- Assignment specific training with Volunteer Resources or Gift Shop volunteer
- Gain valuable experience with elders in a health care environment
- Enhance the quality of life of elders
- Reference available after 30 hours
- Gain experience in a sales environment
All Volunteers are required to:
- Be 16 years old or older
- Complete an application form http://littlemountaincare.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Volunteer-Appli...
- Attend an interview to determine the best role
- Submit to a criminal record check (which we will process for free at the interview)
- Attend an orientation session