Volunteers to move items for women and children fleeing abuse
Shelter Movers provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and children fleeing abuse. We are the only organization of our kind in Canada, and our volunteers are no less exceptional. Every year, in collaboration with community partners, our volunteer teams contribute over 15,000 hours to support people transitioning to lives free of violence and abuse. Our Vancouver chapter has been operational since late 2018 and has completed over 180 moves in that time span. We are growing and looking to add caring and compassionate people to our volunteer team.
Shelter Movers continues to operate and provide our unique moving and storage services with stringent measures in place to protect our volunteers, partners, and clients. While we all do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19 and stay home, we must remember that home isn’t a safe place for many. Those experiencing abuse may have to spend more time with their abuser in an unsafe, confined space as well as potentially losing their job and the financial independence that comes with it. There have been published articles that highlight how mandatory social distancing measures place individuals experiencing abuse at a greater risk than pre-pandemic.
The Movers are core to the organization by assisting in each move. In a group of 2-5 movers, volunteers will load/unload the client’s belongings into a vehicle and transport the client to the pre-determined location. Vehicles are provided for the move, and movers who have a valid driver’s license are welcome to register as drivers.
This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to make a big impact in a small amount of time. Each move varies from 3-5 hours and with our flexible volunteering model, you can sign up to volunteer on moves as per your availability.
- Work under the direction of a volunteer Lead Mover
- Meet other movers at the arranged time and place
- Move Client’s belongings in and out of vehicles
- Maintain communication with the Lead Mover and all other movers during move
- Transport client's personal belongings to a pre-determined location (Client's children may accompany some of the moves)(vehicles provided)
- Liaise with the volunteer team, private security, and/or law enforcement
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 20lbs
- Ability to cope with potentially stressful situations
- Flexible and able to adapt to change
- Ability to speak additional languages is an asset
- Holds driver's license and ability to drive rental vans
- Must complete and pass a police record check
- Must attend our mandatory trauma-informed care orientation session
- Must be over 19 years of age