Volunteer Tutor - Reading and Literacy
We're looking for enthusiastic and dedicated volunteers interested in reading with kids as a tutor in our after school literacy program. Volunteers work one-to-one with students after school (3:30 - 5:30pm on weekdays), building literacy skills through reading support and literacy-based games and activities. Volunteer tutors act as mentors for the students, build trusting and lasting relationships with the diverse and vibrant children in our neighbourhood.
This position is ideal for someone who is patient, creative, passionate about reading and loves working with kids. Kiwassa volunteers enjoy the benefits of skill building and leadership development opportunities, and we will provide a reference upon request after three months of volunteering with us.We give preference to neighbourhood residents and those interested in making a long-term commitment (one year or more) to our program.
Kiwassa volunteers enjoy the benefits of skill building and leadership development opportunities, and we will provide a reference upon request after three months of volunteering with us.We give preference to neighbourhood residents and those interested in making a long-term commitment (6 months or more) to our program.
- Attend training and orientation in January 2020
- Support student(s) to improve their reading skills through 1-1 tutoring sessions with children grades K-7 living in North East Vancouver
- Maintain records of student progress
- Communicate and report to program staff and parents through the year
Ideally we are looking for someone who:
- loves working with children and sees their great potential
- has strong reading, writing and communication skills
- is reliable, caring and adaptable
- is patient,encouraging and dedicated
- has a background in literacy, education or reading support (an asset)
- is aligned with Kiwassa's values of inclusion and diversity
Find out more about Kiwassa here https://www.kiwassa.ca/about-us
We are always looking for fun, enthusiastic, responsible and community-minded people to join our volunteer family. You don’t have to have a specific skill or be an expert to start volunteering with us, as long as you are willing to learn, share, contribute and make a difference in the community.
We look for support in many areas of our programming. Our volunteers work with children, youth, seniors and neighbours of all ages. Our volunteers prepare meals in the kitchen, provide tutoring support, support newcomers with interpretation, chat with neighbours at our community events, and help keep things organized behind the scenes. We have volunteers supporting in diverse community programs like crafts, dance, foodbank, summer camp, daycare and English as a Second Language classes.
We offer ongoing training for our volunteers, and an opportunity to develop your leadership, facilitation and community engagement skills. Volunteer work is a great way to gain new skills and give back to your community!