Volunteer Tutor - Family Literacy Outreach Program
Mount Pleasant Neighbourhood House is a leader in building a healthy and engaged neighbourhood by connecting people and strengthening their capacity to create change.
The Family Literacy Outreach Program is an ESL program, free for newcomer adults and their children (under the age of six) who live in the city of Vancouver. The program connects trained volunteer tutors with newcomers, and tutors facilitate learning in families' homes or community facilities, to foster a welcoming community. The program strengthens ESL and literacy skills and connections to community resources. The program is comprised of language and assessment, two hour weekly home tutoring sessions for 6 months, as well as integrated, ongoing support and referrals.
- Are comprised of two hour weekly tutoring sessions for 6 months
- Are delivered in a family literacy context, based on the needs of the participants
- Can include listening, reading, speaking, writing, numeracy, computers, drawing, singing, arts and crafts
- Engage adults and children to spend quality time learning and playing together
Requirements to apply as a tutor:
- 19 years or older
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident (must have at least one year in Canada)
- Fluency in spoken and written English (BC Grade 12 English or equivalent)
- Criminal Record Check (CRC)
- Two references (non-family members)
- Be empathetic and respectful of diverse people
- The minimum time commitment for tutors to volunteer is two hours a week, for six months
Once requirements are met, individuals must take a free 10 hour tutor training course.
- Receive ongoing guidance and support
- Have access to free resources and materials
- Obtain a Statement of Completion upon finishing the program, and attend a program completion event
- Gain valuable experience and skills, for work in related fields
Benefits and Recognition
- Gain valuable experience and skills, especially for work in related fields
- Reference letter after the six month commitment is fulfilled, statement of completion (including training)
- Yearly volunteer appreciation event