Volunteer Services Recruitment Coordinator, Shelter Movers Vancouver
Shelter Movers provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and children fleeing abuse. We are the only organization of our kind in Canada, and our volunteers are no less exceptional. Every year, in collaboration with community partners, our volunteer teams contribute over 15,000 hours to support people transitioning to lives free of violence and abuse. Our Vancouver chapter has been operational since October 2018 and has completed over 220 moves in that time span. We are growing and looking to add caring and compassionate people to our volunteer team.
We at Shelter Movers continue to operate and provide our unique moving and storage services at this time. We have implemented stringent safety measures in place to protect our volunteers, partners, and clients. While we all do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19 and stay home, we must remember that home isn’t a safe place for many. Those experiencing abuse may have to spend more time with their abuser in an unsafe, confined space as well as potentially losing their job and the financial independence that comes with it. There have been published articles that highlight mandatory social distancing measures that place individuals experiencing abuse at a greater risk than pre-pandemic, highlighting the importance of services like Shelter Movers.
Volunteer Services Recruitment Coordinators ensure that both Shelter Movers Vancouver’s organizational needs and individual volunteers’ needs are met as part of a positive, sustainable relationship. This involves recruitment, training, and support of volunteers, administrative/office duties, program evaluation, celebrating volunteer achievements, advocating for volunteers within the organization, contributing to our long-term strategy, and being the public’s first point of contact with Shelter Movers Vancouver.
Responsibilities of the Coordinator will include:
- Communicate with volunteer applicants on behalf of Shelter Movers
- Conduct phone interviews with volunteer applicants and assess the suitability of the applicant to volunteer with Shelter Movers
- Gain familiarity with our volunteer management platform (Volunteer Hub), develop skills to check data integrity and generate reports
- Support volunteer orientations from an administrative capacity
- Assist volunteer applicants in the onboarding process while updating information on VolunteerHub and other relevant databases
- Attend recruitment fairs, fundraising, and other community events on behalf of Shelter Movers to further volunteer recruitment
- Identify volunteer-related issues and reporting back to the Volunteer Services Manager and Assistant Volunteer Services Manager
- Have regular check-ins with the Recruitment Supervisor and/or the Volunteer Services Manager
We are looking for someone with:
- Reliable work habits
- Strong organizational skills
- Interest in a wide variety of work in Volunteer Management
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including managing conflict
- Tact, discretion, high maturity level, and good judgment
- High level of comfort with engaging the public at community events
- Ability to protect client and volunteer confidentiality
- Awareness of appropriate boundaries, compassion fatigue, and self-care
- Patience, empathy, emotional intelligence, active listening skills, and ability to handle difficult conversations
- Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to apply an anti-oppressive lens to engaging volunteers
- Long-term interest in the Violence Against Women (VAW) sector, and Volunteer Management/Non-Profit Management
- Background in Volunteer Management or Human Resources an asset
Preference will be given to applicants with a long-term interest in Volunteer Management/Non-Profit Management, and Social Justice.
Approximately 4 to 7 hours a week, depending on the type of project/work performed by each team member. A minimum 3-month commitment is strongly preferred.
Shelter Movers Provides you with:
- An opportunity to make a positive impact, helping women and children transition away from violence/abuse.
- Experience in the operations of a social service agency, including service coordination and direct client interaction.
- Training in preparation for your role, and access to ongoing training opportunities.
- The ability to work with a great team of passionate volunteers and supporters.
- After 3 months of satisfactory service, a confirmation of volunteering can be provided.
- After 6 months of satisfactory service, a personalized reference letter can be provided.
Shelter Movers volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, complete a police check, and attend an orientation of no more than three hours.