Volunteer Peer Support Worker
The Volunteer Peer Support Worker is responsible to provide crisis management and life skills support, safety and stabilization, referrals to other services to the clients of Sources Women’s Place. This is not considered counselling. These services are to be offered to clients who are on the waiting list for trauma counselling or are going through some difficult times and feel that they would benefit from additional emotional support.
- Provide crisis management and life skills support to clients of Sources Women’s Place.
- Refer clients to the Trauma Counselling Services as needed.
- To refer clients to outside agencies as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Maintain communication with the Manager of Trauma Counselling regarding client progress.
- Ensures that SOURCES Policies and Procedures are followed as well as the operating procedures of Women’s Place.
- Ensures that the rights, dignity and confidentiality of all clients are maintained.
- Ensures the health and safety of all clients in the course of working with them.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexible, detail oriented with strong organizational skills and possess an ability to take initiative, accept direction and work effectively both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to work well with diverse client populations. Ability to relate to individuals across all socioeconomic and cultural groups.
- Ability to build rapport with a variety of individuals while maintaining a professional demeanour and firm professional boundaries.
- Ability to exercise good judgement in a demanding and continually changing work environment.
- Knowledge of local community resources and support services.
- At a minimum, completion of an undergraduate degree in a field such as social work, psychology, social sciences, education, nursing and other health sciences.
- Previous experience in a counselling role, preferably with women experiencing trauma.
- Experience in the social services sector would be an asset.
- All positions have been designated by Sources Community Resource Society as requiring a Criminal Records Review prior to an applicant being employed in this capacity. Certain police records may preclude the appointment to certain positions.