Free Geek Technology Centre is a non-profit organization passionate about creating a better future while diverting e-waste by sustainably reusing technology, enabling digital access, and providing training and education to the community.Since 2006, Free Geek has diverted over 780 tonnes of electronic waste, rebuilt more than 4,200 computers to re-sell for low (or no) cost, and trained more than 9,700 volunteers.
Free Geek is looking for a team of Volunteer Coordinators to help the Operations team to obtain volunteers, who are essential to our success. We are seeking organized, friendly personable volunteers to act as volunteer coordinators to organize our network of volunteers. We have volunteers for a variety of positions including our IT support nights, receiving, testing, evaluating, dismantling, refurbishing, re-selling computers and other electronics. We also rely on volunteerism for Operations such as social media, web development, recruitment, program development, outreach and fundraising. Our volunteers range from students through to retired community members.
- Greet and orient new volunteers
- Provide orientation and onboarding to new volunteers including health and safety guidelines
- Monitor and respond to volunteer emails inquiring about opportunities, assign to best-fit opportunities and arrange for orientation sessions (can be done remotely)
- Enforcing our policies of inclusion and diversity and creating an atmosphere of belonging for everyone
- Working with Staff to coordinate volunteer duties
- Act as a representative and ambassador of Free Geek's mission, values and programs
We have a variety of times available for volunteering Tuesday through Saturday. Saturday's are our busiest day. You can also work remotely from home, coordinating and responding to volunteer emails.
- Previous experience working with volunteers, or a background in Human Resources or Volunteer Management
- Knowledge of computers and open source software an asset, but not required
- Previous experience working in a non-profit organization and/or with vulnerable populations desired
- Ability to multi-task
- Personable and friendly, positive attitude