VCH Home Health Visitor - Community Outreach
Visit an isolated client in your community.
Sometimes living in a large city such as Vancouver can get very isolating, especially if you're a senior or a person with disabilities living with a chronic illness or health condition. The winter and spring months can be a difficult time for many clients due to the inclement weather. Our Home Health Outreach program connects referred clients who are in need to volunteers who offer friendship, practical and emotional support. Regularly scheduled visits can help to decrease our client’s isolation and increase our client's feeling of security and social connection.
If you enjoy friendly conversation, going for walks or other recreational activities, then apply today. Build on your interpersonal skills, gain valuable experience and make a difference in a person’s quality of life today!
This role is wonderful experience for healthcare students interested in various fields of study such as Nursing, Social Work, Gerontology, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Speech Language Pathology and Recreation Therapy.
This role is a wonderful experience for mature adults who are looking for an opportunity to share their time, their life experience and compassion with isolated seniors in the community.
Currently seeking volunteers who are FLUENT IN ENGLISH AND ANY OF THESE SECOND LANGUAGES - CANTONESE, ITALIAN, SPANISH, PUNJABI
Once matched with a client, volunteers arrange weekly home visits and/or outings with client and maintain open communication with client. Visiting schedule is arranged by client and volunteer. Clients and volunteers share mutually enjoyable activities such as neighbourhood walks, crafts or shopping. Volunteers can also accompany client to appointments, local events or groups of interest to client. Report on progress of match to VCH Coordinator - Volunteer Resources. Report any challenges or concerns to a Coordinator - Volunteer Resources as soon as they arise. Volunteers are required to Log activity hours after each visit with client (weekly). Volunteers do not have permission to drive clients without consent from Volunteer Resources. Volunteers do not provide personal care or home care services to clients.
- Must be 19+ years of age or older (Mature and reliable).
- Must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Must be comfortable working independently with an adult client (at clients home or in the community).
- Must be comfortable working with clients with a diversity of disabilities or disabling conditions.
- Must be reliable and punctual to ensure client is supported. Must maintain personal boundaries (as directed by VCH Policies) for duration of match with client.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and good judgment.
- Patient, respectful, understanding and compassionate.
- Competency in English. Second language an asset
Please call or email Jan at 604-875-4111 ext. 21109 firstname.lastname@example.org & make a difference in someone's life today!