Thrift Store Cashier
As the nation-wide leader and champion for mental health, CMHA facilitates access to the resources people require to maintain and improve mental health and community integration, build resilience and support recovery from mental illness.
The Treasure Chest Thrift Store, located in heart of Up-town, New Westminster (435 Sixth Street), serves the community by providing an assortment of low-priced, good quality clothing, movies, books, antiques and specialty items. The revenue generated by the store supports the programs and services of CMHA VF. Managed by a very small team of staff, the Thrift Store could not operate without our dedicated volunteers.
We are currently looking onboarding volunteer cashiers to help fulfill our needs. Each volunteer is asked to be available for at least one shift a week. Our hours of operation are Tuesday-Saturday from 10:00am to 4:00pm and Sunday from 12:00pm to 4:00pm. Shifts on Tuesday to Saturday are for 3 hours and the Sunday shift is 4 hours.
- Welcoming customers, answering their questions and helping them locate items
- Accepting payments ensuring accurate transactions via cash, debit or credit
- Bagging and wrapping purchases for customers, ensuring the bag stock remains full
- Ensure that all store policies on refunds, holds and pricing are properly followed
- Maintaining a clean and tidy work space
- Answer telephone calls in a professional manner
- Able to work at least one shift per week (Tuesday-Saturday shifts are 3 hours, Sunday shift is 4 hours)
- Ability to handle transactions accurately and responsibly
- Friendly demeanor with great customer service skills
- Basic math skills
- Previous customer service or cashier experience is an asset
- Each cashier will receive comprehensive training on all aspects of the store - no experience is necessary
- A Criminal Record Check must be completed by all volunteers (CMHA covers the cost)
- Opportunities to volunteer for other CMHA volunteer opportunities
- Reference letters confirming volunteer hours are available for school, scholarships or other employment