Taichi Instructor (volunteer position to start Jan 2020)
We are looking for a friendly, dedicated volunteer to lead a group tai chi class for seniors at our non-profit seniors' centre for approximately six months, to start in January 2020. The goal of this program is to help vulnerable older adults to improve their physical and mental well-being, strengthen their ties with their community, and have fun while maintaining their health.
We are a non-profit seniors' centre located in the South Granville area that offers a variety of social, recreational, and wellness programs and services. Our volunteer-led exercise programs provide a low-cost means for seniors in our neighbourhood to remain healthy, active, and engaged in their communities.
• Lead a group of seniors in a weekly tai chi class.
• Ensure that classes are inclusive and suitable to a wide range of skills and abilities.
• Liaise regularly with the Volunteer and Program Coordinator.
• Availability to volunteer one day a week, during Centre business hours (9:00AM-4:00PM) for six (6) months, longer preferred. We currently offer beginner and intermediate tai chi classes on Wednesday mornings from 9:30-10:30AM, although there is some flexibility with the time.
• Experience leading group tai chi classes.
• A friendly demeanor and a willingness to accommodate a variety of physical abilities.
Good verbal command of the English language (any additional languages welcome).
Benefits & Recognition
• Have an opportunity to give back to the community in a meaningful way and positively influence the lives of marginalized and low income seniors.
• Have an opportunity to be a part of a supportive and close-knit community of volunteers
• Reference letter after completion of 50 hours/year, and certificates available.
Volunteer application & interview | Criminal Records check (cost covered by South Granville Seniors Centre)