Special Events Volunteer
Special Events volunteers are needed to provide their interpersonal and hospitality skills during our special events and opening receptions.
Opening receptions take place 6 - 10 times a year from our gorgeous gallery location on Granville Island, and usually take place Thursday evenings from 6 - 8 PM.
Volunteers can expect to be interacting with many guests and artists throughout the evening, in an art gallery setting.
Sometimes we host special events, fundraisers and satellite exhibitions at different locations, you could be asked to help with ShowOff our live painting event or our gala fundraisers, if these interest you!
You'll work alongside the Gallery and Volunteer Coordinator, or Fine Art Consultant, and sometimes with other Special Events Volunteers, depending on which event you participate in.
- Greet visitors and artists, directing them where to sign in
- Take and return coats/belongings at coat-check
- Walk the gallery and engage artists and clients in conversation (if you are comfortable to do so)
- Direct questions or artwork sales to the applicable staff person on-site
- Assist with set-up of the gallery space for the event
- Keep the gallery clean for the duration of the event
- Assist with the take-down and clean up after the event is over
No qualifications are required for this role, however people with the following skills and/or experience would be good candidates:
- strong interpersonal and communication skills
- good organizational skills
- tourism/hospitality experience
- experience as a host for evening events or fundraisers
- knowledge of art history / artisitic practice and theory
- outgoing personalities who like to meet people and start conversations
Special Events Volunteers are required to dress professionally for our events and should be comfortable with doing some light lifting and cleaning duties.
Alcohol is served at these events. Special event volunteers are not permitted to volunteer at our serving station unless they are Serving It Right Certified, please see our other postings for those opportunities.