Reading Coach (12 positions)
- The Reading Coach will work with school-based staff to support immigrant and refugee students ages 13 - 19 with one-on-one reading.
- Reading Coach will work closely with students one-on-one for 4 hours / 2 morning(s) or afternoon(s) per week during regular school hours between 8:40am and 3:00pm at selected Secondary School and other high schools (10 positions).
- The Vancouver School Board is committed to success for each student. In addition to classroom-based support, Reading Coaches are volunteers who will provide an important level of support to students in need. Reading Coaches deliver accelerated literacy tutoring to students in need.
- Attend Wednesday October 25th 2018 Reading Coach training from 4pm - 7pm
- Read with students for 4 hours / 2 morning(s) (8:40 - 11:30am) or afternoon(s) (12:20 - 3pm) (Monday - Friday) from November 2018 - May 2019
- Criminal Record Check is required and will need to be cleared before commencing your volunteer work at the school.
*After completing the interviews held in late September or early October, Reading Coaches will be given one-on-one reader training for 3 hours from 4pm - 7pm on Thursday October 25th 2018.
Reading Coach volunteers should have the following attributes:
- Willingness to learn
- Genuine interest in working with students aged 13 - 19
- Understanding of challenges facing immigrant and refugee learners
- Experience with students and/or newcomers is an asset
- Through this professional opportunity, Reading Coaches will be committed to the agreed volunteering schedule and gain valuable experience working with immigrant and refugee students aged 13 - 19. In terms of emergency situations, up to two absences are allowed during the whole volunteering commitment and email notification has to be sent to the corresponding teacher in the volunteering school in advance.
- This unique volunteer opportunity allows Reading Coaches to be a part of the academic success of immigrant and refugee students. Reading Coaches will receive a certificate or letter of recognition for completion of their volunteering work.