Punjabi speaking volunteers for elder with dementia.
Louis Brier Home and Hospital is home to 215 residents and is in contract with the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority. Louis Brier is part of a continuum of care known as the Snider Campus, which also includes the Weinberg Residence – a boutique Assisted Living and Multi-Level Care residence adjacent to Louis Brier.
We are seeking Punjabi volunteers to provide friendly visits to one of our residents who only speaks Punjabi. You are warm, friendly and have the ability to communicate with sensitivity and deal with people in a calm and empathetic manner. Friendly Visiting volunteers provide companionship and support to help seniors feel connected and valued. This program is intended to help individuals maintain social interaction with the community and alleviate isolation.
Ideally you would be able to visit weekly at the same time, but the days & times are flexible - you may visit as often as you are able to, whether it's during the week or on the weekend (except during meal times).
- Focus your time primarily on your resident/s: ask them where they would like to visit (garden, activity room etc)
- Do what resident wants to do: Have a friendly conversation, read to them, play individual games if resident wants to, look at photos together.
- Inform nursing staff if you leave the nursing unit with resident
- Speak at level of resident (if in wheelchair come to his/her level when speaking)
- LISTEN & SMILE
- Leave when you must and don’t stay longer than you can – Inform resident of how long you can stay and ask if they would like you to return.
- Tell resident when you will be returning
- Report to nursing if residents require anything (food, bathroom etc.)
- Punjabi speaking.
- Empathetic, friendly and patient personality.
- Some knowledge of dementia is helpful.
- A criminal Record check will need to be completed prior to visits.
- A minimum 3 month commitment is nessessary so our resident has the opportunity to get to know you.