Neighbourly Together - Seniors Outreach
The Neighbourly Together (NT) project is an outreach initiative offered in three of Vancouver’s neighbourhood regions (Cedar Cottage, Mount Pleasant, and South Vancouver). The project connects seniors to needed support and creates a sense of connection.
Mount Pleasant Neighbourhood House and Neighbourly Together is looking for senior volunteers to help reach out to fellow seniors who may be isolated and vulnerable in these catchment areas. Vulnerable seniors are isolated older adults who may live with a mental or physical disability, may be low income, face language or cultural barriers, or may face other challenges.
Outreach will involve sharing information through the distribution of brochures and resources within the community. Additionally, the volunteer will identify and refer at-risk or isolated seniors to the Seniors Hub Coordinator who may develop a plan of action to address their needs if requested.
Training is provided. 6-8 hours a month, 6 month commitment required.
The duties for a Neighbourly Together Seniors Outreach volunteer include:
- Participation and attendance at all required orientations, meetings and training
- Conduct door-to-door outreach in your neighbourhood
- Share community resources, information, and services
- Fill out clients track forms or leave updated messages for the Coordinator
- Attend monthly debriefing meetings during the first three months, bi-monthly meetings afterwards
- Identify vulernable seniors who are at-risk
- Identify Friendly Neighbours who are willing to connect with vulnerable seniors in their neighbourhood
- Serve as a Mentor and Mentee as directed by the Coordinator
- Assist Coordinator with activites and public events
- Conduct follow-up where needed
- Log volunteer hours
The following are good skills sets to have to volunteer with Neighbourly Together:
- Patient, friendly and understanding
- Good listening skills, interpersonal skills and conflict resolution skills
- Team player, cooperative, and a "people-person"
- Open minded, culturally sensitive, and inclusive of people from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Good knowledge of seniors services and resources in East Vancouver, or a willingness to learn
The following are requirements to volunteer with Neighbourly Together:
- Be a senior (55+)
- Attend an interview
- Successfully complete an orientation and training session (12 hours)
- Successfully complete a Criminal Record Check
- Commits to 6-8 hours a month for 6 month minimum, with option to continue
- Successfully complete a 3 month probation period
- Simple written and oral English skills
The following are good assests to volunteer with Neighbourly Together, but not required:
- Live in East Vancouver
- Speak a second language, such as Punjabi, Chinese, Vietnamese, Spanish, and/or ASL
Benefits of being a Neighbourly Together Seniors Outreach volunteer:
- Receive 12 hours of training and skills development
- Gain experience in outreach, working with seniors, and working in a non-profit organization
- Develop greater knowledge of our community
- Meet other volunteers and attend the annual Volunteer Appreciation Party
- Meet new people, listen to their stories, and gain a greater sense of community