Museum Guide - Sunday Tea + Tour
Roedde House Museum is a heritage house museum in Vancouver's West End. The house is a Queen Anne revival style home built by Francis Rattenbury in 1893 for Gustav Roedde and his family. Roedde House Museum is run as a threefold facility: providing historical tours, active school programs, and a intimate community venue for rentals, concerts, films, weddings, and events. Our mission: Preserving the Past for the Future.
As a Museum Guide for Sunday Tea + Tour, one will be engaging with the community by acting as an important host and docent for visitors and guests. This position is a wonderful way to connect with local history and meet new people while gaining experience with public speaking, hosting petite events, and continuous learning. Then too, gain insight into the workings of Museums and a heritage house!
Roedde House Museum is open 1-4 pm on Sundays for Tea + Tour. Three volunteers work together to provide historical tours and tea service.
As a Museum Guide non Sundays, Tea + Tour shifts looks like:
- Opening the Museum (lights & doors).
- Preparing float and sign in sheet for visitors.
- Preparing the kitchen and dining table for tea service (tea and cookies).
- Opening the Museum to guests at 1 pm.
- Providing historical tours about Roedde House Museum and Vancouver history to guests.
- Another volunteer or yourself would provide tea service to guests after their tour.
- At 4 pm, closing up the Museum and cleaning up tea service.
- Arriving to volunteer shifts punctually.
- Carrying out opening and closing procedures.
- Providing historical tours to visitors.
- Cash handling safely and accurately.
- Maintaining Museum cleanliness.
Volunteers are asked to commit to two or more Sunday Tea + Tour shifts a month.
- Willingness to learn.
- Confident with public speaking with large or small groups.
- Strong English communication and presentation skills.
- Team working approach.
- Multi-tasking and organized.
- Volunteering Sundays.
- Interest in Vancouver's history, heritage, and/or architecture.
- Prior museum or gallery experience is an asset.
- Additional languages is an asset.
Roedde House encourages people and students from all backgrounds to apply. Training is fully provided.
We hope to help you:
- Become part of the Roedde Team!
- Meet new people in your community.
- Share local history with your community and tourists.
- Gain experience working in a Museum and heritage house.
- Gain experience working with the community.
- Gain or enhance public speaking skills.
We are proud to offer you volunteer benefits including gift shop discounts, letters of reference for your future endeavours, and much more!