Mobile Harm Reduction Van Volunteer
**This is position is best suited for night owls and other people who like to stay up late**
The Purpose Society operates a harm reduction-based mobile outreach service, providing support and services to people who use substances, and/or are at risk for HIV/STBBI (sexually transmitted and blood-borne infections).
Volunteers assist the outreach worker in preparing the van for the beginning of shift, including loading the van with harm reduction supplies and other materials.
Volunteers ride in the passenger seat and assist with: taking and making telephone calls, recording statistics, interacting with high risk clients, distributing supplies and resources, picking up sharps containers from clients and organizations, liaises with partner agencies. The volunteer accompanies the outreach worker while out in the community participating in needle sweeps. The volunteer is with the staff outreach worker at all times.
Shifts available: Friday or Sunday, 4:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Tuesday or Thursday 6:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.
- Very outgoing, flexible and calm attitude
- Comfortable working with street-involved folks, people who use drugs, and working girls/guys
- Ability to talk and communicate with a wide variety of people
- Respectful of confidentiality
- Strong boundaries
- Basic understanding of evidence-based harm reduction principles
- Ability to lift and carry 15 lbs
- Background in health care or social services an asset
- Orientation and training provided on Hepatitis C, HIV, and harm reduction best practices
- Position offers front line experience working in street outreach
- Volunteers have access to all Professional Development sessions at Purpose Society
- Interview, completed application, three references, 21 years of age and over, consent and pass a criminal record check are required along with 2 pieces of identification (one must be photo identification