Member - Board of Directors
We are looking for talented and committed individuals to volunteer on our Board of Directors. The West End-Coal Harbour Community Policing Centre (WECHCPC) is a registered charity with programming directed at reducing crime/street disorder and increasing personal safety. Our area of responsibility spans from Vancouver's Burrard Street to Stanley Park and from Coal Harbour to English Bay. With the support of the Vancouver Police Department, the WECHCPC engages and educates visitors, residents, and businesses on crime prevention planning and activities, offers information and referral services, and facilitates the interaction between the police and the community with issues related to crime and personal safety.
The WECHCPC depends on diversified expertise for effective oversight. We welcome a diverse range of knowledge, experience, and skills, and we encourage all interested persons to apply. A good understanding of social issues impacting downtown Vancouver would be an asset.
This is a governance board focused on a demonstrated commitment to the WECHCPC's mission. Duties include attending monthly board meetings, Annual Strategic Planning Sessions and General Meeting, and committee meetings as necessary (see time commitments below). Board members may occasional be required to support community events. Board members are advocates for WECHCPC and contribute to our fundraising efforts at a level meaningful to them.
Monthly Meetings - up to two hours a month.
Committee Meetings - up to two hours a month on a quarterly basis.
Annual Strategic Planning Session - up to six hours once a year.
Annual General Meeting - up to two hours once a year.
Board meetings are typically held in the evening during the second week of every month.
Although the start date is flexible, we prefer the successful applicant will begin no later than our Annual General Meeting, April 22, 2020. Board meetings are typically held in the evening during the second week of every month
Board members are expected to:
- Provide governance within the organization.
- Set policies which are based on the goals and objectives of the WECHCPC.
- Provide guidance, support, and direction to the Executive Director.
- Attend and actively participate in monthly board and committee meetings by reading agenda, minutes and other reports, listening and sharing views respectfully, and completing committee work within a reasonable time frame.
- Contribute skills, knowledge, influence, time, and other assets.
- Stay informed on issues that affect WECHCPC and the people/organizations we support.
- Support and participate in fundraising efforts and special events.
- Create awareness of, and support for, all services provided by WECHCPC.
- Enhance the image of the WECHCPC in the community and among its stakeholders.
We are currently looking for a Board Members with a number of different skills and expertise. Included are experience in:
- Non-Profit Law, Business Law and/or Privacy Law
- Public Relations and/or Marketing
- Bookkeeping or Budget Management
- Human Resources and/Talent Management
Applicants must successful pass an intake interview, Vancouver Police Criminal Record Check, and additional security vetting procedures. References are required.
We encourage all interested individuals to apply, however it is advantageous to work or live (or have recently lived) in the West End or Coal Harbour.
The WECHCPC can offer the following incentives:
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Lectures or discussions are available free of charge for all members of the WECHCPC.
NETWORKING: Opportunities are presented in the form of appreciation events with the WECHCPC or with the Vancouver Police Department.
FRINGE BENEFITS: Tokens of appreciation are provided annually in the form of awards, certificates, and small merchandise items.
Please visit our 'CPC Management' page on our website to download the Board Information Sheet and to complete the Board Nomination Form.
It can be found at www.wechcpc.com