Looking Glass Foundation for Eating Disorders: Board of Director
Looking Glass Foundation for Eating Disorders is seeking one or two individuals to join our skilled and committed Board of Directors. Our programs and services decrease isolation, instill hope, and sustain recovery for individuals who are impacted by eating disorders.
We strive to have our Board and Board Committees reflect the broad diversity of the communities in which we and our stakeholders, participants, and volunteers live.
Directors are ambassadors for the Foundation and engage in donor stewardship, community engagement, strategic oversight, and advocacy. We know that Recovery is Possible, and we work together to combat this serious mental illness.
If you would like to learn more, we’d be delighted to hear from you.
Board Chair: email@example.com
Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest in joining our Board of Directors. Our Board is a team of dedicated and skilled individuals, all of whom are committed to our Vision: A province where everyone who suffers from an eating disorder receives the services they need to support their recovery, and where the stigma of this mental illness is replaced with compassion and understanding.
We welcome your application and look forward to discussing opportunities with you.
The Looking Glass Foundation was cofounded in 2002 by three families seeking care for their loved ones, who were suffering from life-threatening eating disorders. The passion, integrity, and commitment that drove our Founders remains unchanged today: no one should have to struggle alone against this mental illness. Looking Glass provides programs and services that decrease isolation, instill hope, and sustain recovery for individuals across British Columbia who are impacted by eating disorders.
Every day, we hear and share inspiring stories of our friends, colleagues, loved ones, and community members who have recovered and are thriving. Knowing this, we continue the fight against eating disorders and the stigmas associated with them, and we continue to share the message that recovery is possible. We understand the journey and we are here to help.
The Board oversees the organization’s affairs within the framework of applicable laws and standards. The Board oversees LGF’s mission and strategic direction, its financial management, its sustainability, and its relations with stakeholders. The major duties of the board include:
● overseeing the development and approval of a long-term strategic plan, including the vision, mission, and values;
● approving annual budgets and operating plans;
● governing the organization through policies and objectives which are formulated with the Executive Director and staff, approved by the board, and reviewed periodically;
● selecting, supporting, and where necessary, replacing the Executive Director;
● conducting an annual performance review of the Executive Director, on the basis of a specific job description and approved objectives;
● ensuring effective recruitment, orientation, development, evaluation, and succession planning of the Board, individual directors, and Board Committees;
● overseeing the funding plan in place to support the organization’s operations and programs;
● accounting to stakeholders for the operation of the organization and the use of donated funds;
● supporting the Looking Glass annual Gala through personal attendance and by encouraging others to join as Gala Partners and guests;
● donating annually to the organization at a level comfortable for each individual;
● overseeing the management of the organization’s resources;
● overseeing compliance with applicable laws and regulations; and,
● working with management to represent and advocate for the organization.
Although this will vary year-to-year, a Board member could anticipate, over a one-year term, attending five to six in-person Board meetings (including preparation and follow-up), participating in one Board or Foundation Committee (Board Governance & HR, Finance, Government Relations, Fundraising, Gala, Scholarship), attending the AGM and annual Gala and other duties as identified from time to time.
Directors are ambassadors for the Looking Glass Foundation and engage in donor stewardship, community engagement and advocacy in support of those impacted by eating disorders.
We strive to have our Board and Board Committees reflect the broad diversity of the communities in which we and our stakeholders, participants and volunteers live. Given the diversity of its programs, Directors have a range of experience and backgrounds, including: finance, fundraising, legal, real estate, retail/business management, risk management, governance, development, public relations, planning, and more.
Please complete the following application form and send it, along with your resume, to Debbie Slattery, Board Chair email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest.
Looking Glass Foundation Board Memeber Application Form:
Areas of expertise/skills you wish to highlight:
Prior Board experience:
What interests you about this opportunity?
Please supply two references. References will not be contacted until after you meet or talk with a Board member or the Executive Director.