The landscape and garden are currently maintained by the grounds and maintenance volunteers whose main focus is on maintain the structures on site. One-time projects to clear large areas of brush and invasive species are occasionally undertaken by corporate and community groups, and animal care and maintenance volunteers assist with light gardening duties. The Garden Landscaper role will oversee the implementation of a landscape design and project plan to maintain our landscape and garden in a native and sustainable manner that is aesthetically pleasing and safe for people and wildlife.
The Landscape Coordinator is accountable to Hospital Manager and Maintenance Coordinator for completion of assigned activities and maintaining communication around the design and maintenance of the landscape. The Wildlife Hospital Manager and Maintenance Staff will provide ongoing support and constructive feedback.
Approximately 4 hours per week on a consistent weekly basis, with a minimum commitment of 100 hours, starting in Spring 2021.
The shifts will take place at Wildlife Rescue during operational hours, with flexibility as to the day and time. Working from home will be accommodated for administrative tasks.
The Landscape Coordinator will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Oversee the implementation of the landscape design and annual landscape maintenance plan
- Supervise weekly garden volunteers as well as corporate groups for one-time projects
- Complete landscape maintenance and gardening within your skillset as necessary
- Maintain an inventory and organizational system for garden supplies
- Maintain a communication system for identifying and logging garden projects
- Maintain a list of regular volunteer garden jobs with instructions on how to complete, including whether sign off or supervision is needed and safety precautions
- In collaboration with staff, design health & safety training for garden volunteers
- Facilitate Health & Safety training for new garden volunteers
- Work with staff and volunteers to identify new gardening projects
- Experience and knowledge in landscaping, gardening, horticulture, or a related field
- Knowledge of native plants in B.C.
- Ability to complete tasks independently with little supervision
- Excellent team leadership
- Communication skills
- Microsoft Office skills
- Prepared to work outdoors
- Demonstrated reliability
- At least 18 years of age
- Access to vehicle an asset
- Able to precure required materials an asset