Group Activity Assistant - Vancouver
Vision loss can be very isolating. At CNIB, we embrace one another's differences and we break down barriers that would exclude anyone from being meaningfully engaged with each other.
We will be running many social groups and activities for individuals living with vision loss in the fall, and we would like for you to take part in them! We are looking for Group Activities Assistants to give us a hand with our different activities running out of our Vancouver office.
As a Group Activities Assistant volunteer, you will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Attend the group meetings (arrive half an hour before and help set up the room and prep)
- Assist group members who need assistance to find seats and pour coffee or water
- Provide sighted guide as necessary
- Assist with clean-up
- Take part in the activities!
We will be running the following programs:
- “How I Did It” Speaker Series - Every 2nd Wednesday of every month, 5:30-7:30pm, starting in October
- Music Therapy for Adults – Every Tuesday, 10-11:30am, starting Tuesday, October 1st
Tasks will depend on groups and their needs, but may include:
-Preparing before and cleaning up after the meeting (making coffee, taking mugs out…etc.)
-Assisting with refreshments (pouring coffee, tea, water…etc.)
-Providing sighted guide to group participants if necessary
-Track and report volunteer hours as directed
-Other duties as required
Good phone manners, ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and in a group setting. You are reliable, organized, and able to work with minimal supervision.
All relevant training will be provided, including sighted guide training.
Make a difference in the life of an individual in your community who is blind or partially sighted.
A reference letter can be provided upon actively volunteering for a minimum of 3 months. Criminal record check and reference checks are required. Orientation and training will be provided.