Gift Shop Volunteer
Little Mountain Place (LMP) is a 117-residential bed care home for seniors. It is located in the heart of the Little Mountain neighbourhood in East Vancouver, close to the Main Street Corridor and Queen Elizabeth Park. Individual resident rooms are situated on the second and third floors, with the second floor offering a 26-bed Special Care Unit called “The Garden Terrace.”
Residents living at LMP have diverse needs, complex physical and/or mental health needs and come from diverse cultural backgrounds. Our residents are supported to live to their fullest ability through a person-centred approach to care.
We have a small gift shop for our residents with snacks, hygene items, and small gift items called the Nook. We are looking for a few volunteers that are willing to donate 1-2 hours of their time once a week to assist residents with their purchases.
Nook Volunteers will:
- Provide friendly support and service to elders, visitors and staff who are intersted in purchasing from our little shop.
- Help raise funds for elders leisure programs
- Count a small cash float at the start and end of every shift
- Maintain a record of all sales
- Restock items from backstock
- Take suggestions from residents for new stock to be ordered
Commitment: Minimum of one 1-2 hour weekly shift for at least 4 Months. Longer commitment preferred.
Shifts are set according to volunteer availability however they need to be during leisure staff hours as listed below:
- Monday between 9am - 4:30 pm
- Tuesday between 11 am - 4:30 pm
- Wednesday between 9 am - 4:30 pm
- Thursday between 9 am - 7:00 pm
- Friday between 9 am - 4:30 pm
- Saturday between 11 am - 4 pm
- Greet and assist elders, visitors and staff
- Stock shelves, keep the shop neat and clean
- Balance the cash at the end of the shift
- Manage cash sales, and and record resident purchased.
- Price stock as directed
- Chat with residents
- Able to assist elders who may have physical and/or cognitive challenges
- Able to communicate well in verbal and written English, other languages also an asset
- Friendly, reliable and respectful
- Able to follow direction
- Willingness to listen, learn and develop effective ways to interact with people.
- Experience with cash handling and/or customer service an asset
- Patient, as sales can be slow sometimes
- General orientation session with Volunteer Resources
- Assignment specific training with Volunteer Resources or Gift Shop volunteer
- Gain valuable experience with elders in a health care environment
- Enhance the quality of life of elders
- Reference available after 30 hours
- Gain experience in a sales environment
All Volunteers are required to:
- Be 16 years old or older
- Complete an application form http://littlemountaincare.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Volunteer-Appli...
- Attend an interview to determine the best role
- Submit to a criminal record check (which we will process for free at the interview)
- Attend an orientation session