Gallery Ambassadors are the first point of contact for visitors and artists to our bustling gallery on Granville Island, across from the Granville Island hotel. Our space welcomes hundreds of visitors daily, and we need personal, outgoing professionals to represent our organization and our artists.
You'll be positioned as the face of the organization, at our front desk in our beautiful gallery. Our exhibitions rotate every two weeks, so while you volunteer you get to see the latest and greatest artists practising right here, right now in Vancouver and across the province.
By volunteering in this role, you are supporting your local arts community. Our always exhibitions are free to attend, and the only way we can make this possible is through your volunteerism.
Volunteers in the week, report to the Fine Art Consultant and the Gallery and Volunteer Coordinator in their daily tasks. Weekend volunteers work alongside our Weekend Sales assistant.
- Open and closing procedures for the gallery
- Cash handling and simple book-keeping
- Sign In / Out, receive and return artist artwork
- Welcome all visitors to the gallery, inform them about the current exhibition and our organization
- Answering the phone, taking messages
- Processing artwork and merchandise sales
- Renewing memberships and registering new members
No specific qualifications are required to hold this role, however, it is a good fit for people who:
- are familiar with client-facing roles
- possess strong interpersonal skills
- have knowledge of art history and/or arts practices and theory
- demonstrate good organizational skills and time management
- are competent with computer applications and programs
Good candidates for this role include might have experience in the following areas:
- tourism and hospitality
- realty / realtors
- legal/pharmaceutical assistants
- arts education
- art history
Volunteers sign up for weekly shifts that are 3 or 3.5 hours long (depending on the season) during our gallery open hours as follows:
Winter (September - mid May): 10 AM - 1 PM or 1 PM - 4 PM
Summer (mid May - end of August): 10 AM - 1.30 PM or 1.30 PM - 5 PM
We advocate for use of walking, biking or public transit to get to your shift. However if necessary volunteers are reimbursed for parking while volunteering with the FCA.