Friendly visitor - Friendly phone call
Volunteers for Seniors - Better at Home Program
The Renfrew-Collingwood Better at Home (BAH) Program helps older adults continue living independently in their own homes by providing simple, non-medical home support services. The Friendly Visiting service aims to improve the social and emotional well-being of isolated or lonely seniors and provide social interaction and companionship on a weekly or biweekly basis. Friendly visitor volunteers will be matched with a senior according to common needs and interests, and visit the senior at their home to spend time chatting over a cup of tea or doing an activity like watching a movie or playing a game. Volunteers also have the option to phone call the senior on a regular basis to provide a friendly, listening ear.
Most Friendly Visitors/phone callers will visit or call once per week for one or two hours.
- Keep accurate records and submit the required logs to BAH coordinator
- Report any incidents and emergencies immediately
- Visit seniors on a weekly or bi-weekly basis on their home (as mutually agreed)
- Provide a friendly, listening ear
- Attend all program orientations and training
- Treat all seniors with dignity and respect
- Be reliable and punctual
- Respect confidentiality at all times
- Able to visit with a senior once per week
- Complete a Criminal Records Check
- Willing to help make a difference in a senior's life
- Second language an asset (currently looking for Vietnamese speaking volunteers, all languages are welcomed)
- Gain interpersonal and communications skills relevant to health care, social work and other soft/hard skills
- Develop understanding of seniors care and issues faced by older adults
- Help seniors stay connected and reduce social isolation
- Enjoy the company of new friends!
- Be recognized in the Volunteer Appreciation events when reach 20+ hours of volunteering