Food Rescue Assistant
We're looking for an energized organizational whiz to help sort and process donated produce and food items so they can be used by community members and our programs in-house. For this volunteer role, we're looking for someone every Tuesday from 9:30am - 12:45pm who can assist with produce donation pick ups and then organize the food in our fridge upon return to Kiwassa. This opportunity is a good fit for someone who has strong organizational skills and is interested in supporting a food rescue project. Kiwassa volunteers enjoy the benefits of skill building and leadership development opportunities, and we will provide a reference upon request after three months of volunteering with us. We give preference to neighbourhood residents and those able to commit to longer-term involvement.
- Support produce donation pick-ups
- Neatly organize donated produce in clean, efficient manner
- Maintain required health standards in food preparation, cleanliness, and food storage and maintain food safety plans as outlined by the Food Safety Plans
- Follow composting and recycling program and utilize preparation and cleaning checklists
Ideally, we're looking for someone who is:
- A community-minded person who enjoys organizing
- Friendly, respectful and enjoys interacting with others in a multicultural setting
- Reliable with good communication skills
- Able to lift 50 lbs
- Able to follow FIFO (First in First Out) rules in the kitchen
- Food Safe Certified (an asset)
Find out more about Kiwassa here https://www.kiwassa.ca/about-us
We are always looking for fun, enthusiastic, responsible and community-minded people to join our volunteer family. You don’t have to have a specific skill or be an expert to start volunteering with us, as long as you are willing to learn, share, contribute and make a difference in the community.
We look for support in many areas of our programming. Our volunteers work with children, youth, seniors and neighbours of all ages. Our volunteers prepare meals in the kitchen, provide tutoring support, support newcomers with interpretation, chat with neighbours at our community events, and help keep things organized behind the scenes. We have volunteers supporting in diverse community programs like crafts, dance, foodbank, summer camp, daycare and English as a Second Language classes.
We offer ongoing training for our volunteers, and an opportunity to develop your leadership, facilitation and community engagement skills. Volunteer work is a great way to gain new skills and give back to your community!