Education - VanDusen Garden Guide
As Garden ambassadors, VanDusen Guides invite visitors to explore and learn more about the Garden and the amazing world of plants. By offering dynamic guided tours and acting as information resources, Guides help visitors connect with VanDusen’s beautiful 55-acre garden. Guided walking and cart tours are offered daily from April to October, walking tours are also available Sunday afternoons year round weather permitting.
- Plans, organizes and conducts walking and/or cart tours
- Interprets the Garden's collections, history and horticultural practices, while welcoming visitors and answering their questions
- Keeps up-to-date and informed about the Garden
- Attends Guide Education meetings and Garden Walks, participates in Guide projects and special events in the Garden as appropriate
- Records Guide activity statistics as required
Skills, Attitudes, Knowledge Required:
- Experience in customer service, teaching, guiding or botany is an asset but not a requirement
- Excellent communication skills and customer service focused.
Training and Orientation:
- Orientation to VanDusen Garden and the roles volunteers play at the VBGA
- The eight week Guide Basic Training course starts in April and covers practical interpretation skills, basic botany, and an overview of Guiding. The course prepares new Guides for apprenticeship and further learning.
Time Commitment: A minimum of 20 hours of guiding per year. Trainee guides a minimum of 48 hours per year (3-4 shifts per month).
Supervisory Relationships/liaison: Candidate will be supervised by, and liaise with the Guide Captain.
Authority/Decision Making: Must be comfortable making decisions and problem solving with minimal supervision.
- Enhance botanical knowledge, further develop customer service and communication skills
- Opportunity to work with a dedicated team in a well-respected charity
- Contribute your time and talents in an impactful way for a worthwhile cause
- Reference letter
Availability for training dates: Training occurs over 8 weeks, every Saturday from 10am - 3:30pm from April 6th - June 8th.