Crisis Line & Support Group Volunteer
Volunteers answer calls on our 24-hour Crisis Line (after hours, weekends, and holidays) to provide immediate emotional support, safety planning, self-care practices, information, and resources for survivors of sexualized violence. Volunteers may also assist WAVAW’s counselling team in facilitating support groups. Successful completion of WAVAW’s 11-week Volunteer Training and a one-year commitment is required.
Our 11-week Volunteer Training is offered twice a year beginning in September and January. This is a unique opportunity for folks of marginalized genders interested in acquiring extensive training in supporting survivors within a feminist, anti-oppressive, and decolonizing framework. WAVAW's volunteer training is offered free-of-charge!
All interviews and training will be held virtually via Zoom. Following training, all volunteering opportunities and meetings will take place remotely until further notice.
Next Training: January 19, 2021
Application Deadline: November 30, 2020
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Volunteers need to:
- Be 19+ years of age
- Be women, trans, Two-Spirit, non-binary, and/or gender diverse
- Provide two references before the start of the Volunteer Training
- Attend and successfully complete the 11-Week Volunteer Training on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:45-10:00pm
- Commit for minimum of one-year and approximately 8 hours/week
- Submit a Criminal Record Check
- Attend Monthly Meetings on the first Wednesday of every month from 5:30-8:00pm after completing the training
If you have accessed WAVAW's services in the past, please note that you must wait 3 years before you can apply for a volunteer position.
No previous experience or education required.