We are looking for friendly, dedicated cooks and kitchen assistants to prepare healthy meals for members of our Centre one day a week (Tuesday, Thursday or possibly Fridays). In this rewarding role, you will have an opportunity to share your cooking with up to 20 appreciative seniors.
We are a non-profit seniors' centre located in the South Granville area that offers a variety of social, recreational, and wellness programs and services. Our lunch program is an important food security initiative that provides low income seniors with affordable, nutritious meals in a welcoming social setting.
- Arrive at 9:00AM, allowing sufficient preparation time for lunch to be served at 12:00PM.
- Prepare meals according to Canadian Kitchen Regulations: Clean counters before and after food preparation, keep the kitchen clean and organized during food preparation, prepare and handle food according to FoodSafe regulations.
- Expedite prepared meals with the help of a small team of kitchen help volunteers.
- Communicate professionally with staff, Centre members, and volunteers.
- Create a comfortable and friendly environment for all kitchen volunteers.
- Make decisions with regards to menu planning, giving consideration to feedback from Centre members and food costs.
- Liaise regularly with the Program Coordinator and Office Administrator.
- Availability to volunteer one day a week (Tuesdays, Thursdays or possibly Fridays) from 9:00AM-2:00PM for a minimum 3 month commitment.
- FoodSafe certification is required
- Experience working in a kitchen environment.
- Patience and a positive attitude.
- Ability to create and prepare a variety of meals.
- Ability to lead and interact positively with kitchen help volunteers.
- Ability to speak a language other than English is an asset, but not necessary.
Volunteer application & interview | Criminal Records check (cost covered by South Granville Seniors Centre) | FoodSafe Certificate