Clothes and Collectibles Thrift Store
The West End Seniors' Network (WESN) is dedicated to improving the quality of life of adults 55 years of age and older by providing social, recreational, educational and supportive programs and services that foster connection and inclusion in the broader community.
This mission is supported by our Clothes & Collectables Thrift Store. Clothes & Collectibles is a lively store that provides affordable, quality goods to the residents of the West End with all money raised going to fund the social, educational, recreational, and support programs that WESN provides to local seniors. Our active team of outstanding volunteers give heart and a very welcoming spirit to this great little thrift shop.
We are currently looking for volunteers who are able to commit to one 4 hour shift each week for at least 3 months. We are open from 10:00 - 6:00, Tuesday to Friday, and from 10:00 - 5:00 on Saturday. Our store is small so we need volunteers who are able to receive and sort donations for sale efficiently. Light housekeeping is also occasionally required to help keep the store tidy and dust free. We are looking for proactive volunteers as there is always lots to do!
Each shift we have three roles which rotate.
Cashier - offer a friendly welcome and inform customers of currents sales and promotions, manage the cash desk in an efficient and friendly manner, sell and wrap purchases, ring up sales and provide accurate change. Provide information on acceptable donations, direct donors to the back of the store. Help customers with queries. General housekeeping - dusting, tidying.
Processing - receive donations graciously and gratefully, inform donors of our donation policy, sort and assess donations, steam and hang clothing, price and display household and decor items. Set aside designer items for assessment and pricing. Test and price small appliances. Wash dishware and collectibles as required. General housekeeping - sweeping, cleaning, dusting.
Sales floor - monitor front of store by supporting cashier, wrapping large purchases, oversee fitting room. Offer a friendly welcome. Support the back room, help customers, direct donors. Dress mannequins. General housekeeping - sweeping, cleaning, dusting. Assess potential problems and advise manager on duty.
- Provide a high level of service to our customers
- Cash handling. Ring in all transactions through cash register and give change.
- Commit to a minimum of 3 months of volunteering
- Speak and understand English clearly
- Report to Clothes & Collectibles Manager
- Strong customer service skills
- Must be physically fit and able to lift between 20-30 lb bags and boxes and able to stand for long periods (shifts are 4 hours long with short breaks)
- Reliable and hard working. Our organization relies on the thrift store for a substantial part of its funding
- Polite and approachable
- Ability to work well with a team; you will be working with at least 2 other people on every shift.
- An eye for fashion/retail helps!
- A criminal record check will be required
Benefits of volunteering with WESN include:
- Joining an exceptional team of 200+ volunteers who make a difference in the lives of hundreds of seniors each year
- An invitation to our annual Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon, which includes a free lunch as well as door prizes
- A letter of reference after 3 months of volunteering