Kiwassa Neighbourhood House offers nutritious homemade breakfasts daily Monday through Friday from 8am -9am through the school year. Breakfast volunteers will assist with cooking, set-up, serving and clean-up. This opportunity is particularly suitable for those with experience cooking, or people interested in gaining valuable cooking and baking experience in a community context. Kiwassa volunteers enjoy the benefits of skill building and leadership development opportunities, and we will provide a reference upon request after three months of volunteering with us. We give preference to neighbourhood residents and those able to commit to longer-term involvement.
- Prepare and serve healthy, nutritious breakfast for children
- Maintain required health standards in food preparation, cleanliness, and food storage and maintain food safety plans as outlined by the Food Safety Plans.
- Follow composting and recycling program and use preparation and cleaning checklists
- Interact in a supportive way with children, staff and other volunteers
Ideally, we're looking for someone who is:
- A community-minded person who enjoys cooking or would like to learn more about food preparation
- Friendly, respectful and enjoys interacting with children in a multicultural setting
- Punctual and reliable
- Food Safe certified
- Able to follow simple breakfast recipes (ie. pancakes) and has basic knife skills
Find out more about Kiwassa here https://www.kiwassa.ca/about-us
We are always looking for fun, enthusiastic, responsible and community-minded people to join our volunteer family. You don’t have to have a specific skill or be an expert to start volunteering with us, as long as you are willing to learn, share, contribute and make a difference in the community.
We look for support in many areas of our programming. Our volunteers work with children, youth, seniors and neighbours of all ages. Our volunteers prepare meals in the kitchen, provide tutoring support, support newcomers with interpretation, chat with neighbours at our community events, and help keep things organized behind the scenes. We have volunteers supporting in diverse community programs like crafts, dance, foodbank, summer camp, daycare and English as a Second Language classes.
We offer ongoing training for our volunteers, and an opportunity to develop your leadership, facilitation and community engagement skills. Volunteer work is a great way to gain new skills and give back to your community!