Big Sisters Mentor - Coquitlam
Summary: Big Sisters Program (rolling intake, apply anytime)
Who was that person that had a positive impact in your life when you were younger? This could have been a family member, a neighbour or a family friend. This person might have helped you make positive choices in your life and choice the path you are on today. They might have given you the courage or support to apply for post secondary, a part-time job, or do something positive that you might not have done if it wasn’t for them. Now imagine if that person hadn’t existed, where might you have ended up?
This is the reality for many of our Little Sisters. They tell us they don’t have one supportive person in their life. That’s where you come in and help provide that support to choice the right path instead of the wrong path. By showing up for your Little Sister you are saying to her that she matters, that you will be there to support her. You don’t have to have any special qualifications to be a mentor, being you is enough.
Our experienced caseworkers match our Little Sisters (aged 7-17) with you (aged 19+) in a one-to-one mentoring relationship based on similar interests and geographic location. You can then do fun activities in your community that you both enjoy and create wonderful memories together.
You will meet with your Little Sister for 2-4 hours once a week for one year and participate in fun, low to no cost activities. Your caseworker is an excellent resource for helping come up with activities, but a walk in the park might be all your Little Sister needs to know you are there to listen to her.
The youth in our program come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences and could benefit from the support and friendship of a mentor.
The program strives to do the following:
- Provide a role model and friend to a Little Sister (ages 7-17)
- Promote the importance of staying in school and healthy relationships with family and peers
- Instill trust and self-confidence in order to make healthy decisions
- Encourage leadership skills and independent thinking
- Above all, make a difference while having fun!
Or Contact: Alice at email@example.com for more information
- Age 19 or older female, transgender, or non-binary individual
- Mature, stable, reliable, and respectful of others
- A Canadian resident for the past year (or able to provide an International Criminal Records Check)
- Able to commit to spending 2-4 hours a week with your Little Sister for a minimum of 1 year (yes, occasional vacations and work travel are fine!)
- Interested in developing a positive friendship with a youth aged 7-17
- Exposure to fresh perspectives, ideas and approaches
- Development of your personal leadership and coaching styles
- Share knowledge, which helps increase the Little Sisters sense of well-being
- Strengthens your interpersonal relationship skills