BC Bereavement Helpline - Volunteer
Volunteers are trained on the history of BCBH, the key elements of grief and mourning, and varying theories regarding grief and loss, plus training on compassionate listening and referral making. Volunteer trainings are free of cost and are scheduled regularly throughout the year and according to demand.
Volunteer shifts are four hours long from 9am – 1pm or 1pm – 5pm, Monday through Friday. Shift schedules are coordinated based on available time slots and what works best with the volunteer’s schedule. Please note that a minimum of a 6-month commitment is requested. Volunteer activities take place at our office in Downtown Vancouver.
**Please Note: We do not provide counselling, therapy, or diagnosis to clients over the phone but are there for empathetic listening, grief support, and resources.**
Bereavement Support is an Essential Service ™ and we are continually looking for dedicated volunteers to work with our team. Volunteers assist us with the following important tasks:
• Answering the Helpline and providing compassionate listening or referrals for bereaved callers
• Assistance with event coordination (attendance at conference booths, marketing and promotion, logistics and planning)
• Social media updates on Facebook and Twitter
• Assistance with support group and training program coordination (communications, marketing and promotion, logistics and planning)
• Administrative duties, and more!
- Preferred (but not required) post-secondary experience in relevant fields such as: Social Work, Community Health Work Counselling, Criminology, Psycho-social Bereavement Support, Psychology, Trauma Support, etc. These fields are related to the job as they provide appropriate background for the work of 1-on-1 bereavement support as well as community resource research. Allows volunteers to use methods learned in school which is expanded upon during training and live experience.
- Preferred (but not required) experience with dealing with a loss.
- No experience needed
- Strong and clear speaking voice