Walking Group Volunteer (Burnaby Hospice Society)
The Burnaby Hospice Society’s walking group is currently in urgent need of volunteers. The group meets on Mondays, Wednesdays or Saturdays. The group walks at Deer Lake park on Wednesdays and at Burnaby Mountain Golf Course on Mondays and Saturdays. For more information about the walking group, visit: http://burnabyhospice.org/services/bereavement-support/
- The volunteer will commit to either one of the days from 10 am-12 pm (10-11 am: walk with walkers; 11-12 am: coffee with walkers).
- The volunteer will commit to a quarterly volunteer meeting.
- Once the coordinator provides contact information for a new walker, the volunteer connects with the walker either through email or phone call. Through the email or phone call, the volunteer informs the walker about the meeting point on the day of the walk, the location details, and any other important details that the walker should know.
- On the day of the walk, the volunteer will provide emotional support to walkers through talking, listening to and walking with the walkers. This is a form of informal support to the walker. The volunteer is not expected to provide counselling to the walker.
- The volunteer will connect with the Bereavement Coordinator if they have any concerns regarding walkers or the group.
- The volunteer will record their volunteer hours on a monthly basis and email their hours to the Bereavement Coordinator in a timely manner.
If interested, please contact the Registered Clinical Counsellor/Bereavement Program Coordinator at email@example.com or at 604.520.5024. Thank you for your interest.