School Aged Childcare/Afterschool Assistant
Assist staff in setting up the program: play with children 6-12 years old; help children with painting, crafts, reading stories, songs, etc.; assist during snack serving; answer to their basic needs; and enjoy being with children.
Volunteers are needed Monday - Friday, 2:30 - 6:00pm.
Here are our Childcare/Afterschool Centers and their addresses:
1- Clinton Elementary (Also serving Nelson and Glenwood Elementary Schools)- 5858 Clinton St. Burnaby
2- Douglas Road Elementary School-4861 Canada Way, Burnaby
3- Lochdale Community School-6990 Aubrey St. Burnaby
4- Marlborough Elementary-6060 Marlborough Ave. Burnaby
5- Maywood Community School-4567 Imperial St. Burnaby
6- Stride Avenue Elementary-7014 Stride Ave. Burnaby
7- Gilpin Elementary School-5490 Eglinton St. Burnaby
8- 12th Ave. Elementary School-7622 12th Ave. Burnaby
9- Suncrest Elementary School– 3883 Rumble St., Burnaby
10 - Edmonds Community School- 7651 18th Ave, Burnaby
11 - Cameron Elementary School- 9540 Erickson Dr, Burnaby
- Promotes Neighbourhood House program philosophy by ensuring programs have the opportunities to interconnect and achieve client integration across program areas.
- Walk children to and from school or assist with loading and unloading children in the van.
- Engage with children in a variety of activities: sports, games, crafts, etc.
- Supervises participants and ensure safety in the program.
- Performs first aid treatment.
- Assists supervisor in planning monthly program appropriate for school-aged children.
- Assists children with their homework.
- Set-up and take down of shared spaces.
- Works in cooperation with staff and volunteers, to implement and evaluate programs.
- Works within budget limits.
- Works with and provides leadership to volunteers.
- Talks with parents/caregivers on a regular basis.
- Participates in regular staff meetings and training sessions.
- Develops positive relationships with participants and act as a role model and mentor.
- Assists with preparation and delivery of daily nutritional snack.
- Supervises participants on trips away from the centre.
- Assists with light cleaning and centre maintenance.
- Performs other duties as required.
Ability to work with groups of children.
Energetic, patient, good at conflict resolution, with a sense of developmental levels and abilities.
Volunteer orientation (1 hour)
Childcare training (4 hours)
Valid reference and Provincial criminal records check.
Completed immunization/waiver form