Recreation Activity Volunteer - Adult Day Program
Youville Residence consists of a residential care home for 42 senior residents and Parkview, a specialized mental health unit for 37 older adults.
We are seeking enthusiastic volunteers to assist with our new Adult Day Program at Youville Residence. The Adult Day Program creates an opportunity for selected older adults living in the community to come and be part of social, leisure and wellness clubs. Under the direction and supervision of the Program Coordinator, volunteers will assist with various activities which will change daily according to the wishes of the participants. Examples of activities include: One-to-one visiting, chess, checkers, group activities of crafts, baking or play memory games. This unique volunteer role also invites volunteers to bring and create new activities to the program (eg. new crafts, gardening, new games, etc).
• Volunteers are highly valued by staff, residents and their families. Volunteers enhance the lives of our residents and your time and efforts are an important element in Providence Health Care’s commitment to quality care
• We require a minimum 4 month commitment
• Weekly volunteer shifts are 2 hours per week, depending on the position
• Volunteers must be a minimum of 16 years old to volunteer at Youville Residence
Under the direct supervision of the Program Coordinator, volunteers are expected to complete the following duties:
• Set-up program area
• Invite and encourage residents to participate in the Exercise program
• Engage in friendly and positive conversation with residents
• Assist Rehabilitation Assistant with distribution of weights/equipment
• Model and demonstrate proper exercise techniques
• Advise Rehabilitation Assistant and/or Staff of any issues or concerns that arise during your volunteer shift
• Clean-up and store equipment
• Able to assist elders who have physical and/or cognitive challenges.
• Physically capable of pushing elders in wheelchairs and carrying out physical tasks as required
• Able to communicate well in verbal and written English
• Ability to speak language other than English is an asset but not essential.
• Friendly, reliable, patient and respectful
• Able to follow direction and enjoy teamwork
• Willingness to listen, learn and develop effective ways to interact with elders.
• Sincere interest in the social needs elders
*Please consider that all applicants will be asked to complete the following in order to be considered for volunteer placements with Providence Health Care*:
• Attend an interview with a Coordinator, Volunteer Resources
• Provide 2 professional references for a Coordinator to contact
• Complete an online Criminal Record Check with the BC Ministry of Justice
• Attend a 2-hour Volunteer Orientation
• Acquire an annual influenza vaccination from December - March of every year; OR wear a mask during your volunteer shift