Online Computer Tutor
The Distance Computer Comfort Volunteer Tutor will teach basic computer and mobile device skills to adults with disabilities. We are looking for a commitment of at least 2 hours per week.
Instruction typically includes word processing, Internet, email, social media and mobile devices. Other topics include MS Office software and Assistive Technology.
Because the program is based online and delivered through communication technology, the Distance Computer Tutor is able to work from home and on a flexible schedule (ie. mornings, afternoons, evenings, after work, etc).
We are especially looking for tutors who are available weekday mornings and afternoons.
The Distance Computer Tutor strives to increase each participant's level of comfort and independence with computer and mobile device technology. Participants may be located anywhere across Canada. Training can be provided to ensure the Distance Computer Tutor is completely comfortable with the technology and software used.
Volunteer Tutor Responsibilities
1. Assist participants with computer and mobile device related activities;
2. Answer participant's questions as needed;
3. Review covered material regularly;
4. Monitor participant's progress and inform Distance Computer Comfort program coordinator/instructor.
5. Report to and maintain regular communication with the Distance Computer Comfort Neil Squire Society contact person
6. Report all technical difficulties to the Distance Computer Comfort program coordinator and the training location staff
* Reliable: able to keep schedule appointments, or give 24 hours notice if unable to attend
* Strong verbal communication skills
* Good familiarity with Windows and/or Mac based computers and software is required
* Good understanding of Android and iOS devices and related apps
* Applicants will be self-motivated, creative, and interested in working with adults who have varying disabilities
* Teaching or tutoring experience is an advantage
* Comfort with online communication tools an asset
* An overview of any required assistive technology will be provided
* Technical assistance will be provided to help with setup.
* An orientation to e-Learning tools and resources will be provided.
* Telephone reference after one month; letter of recommendation after three months
* Requires criminal records check. We cover that cost