MS Walk Organizing Committee - Vancouver Community
The MS Walk Committee are responsible for successfully planning and leading the MS Walk event in their community. Being part of the Committee is ideal for people looking to get more involved with the MS Society and who wish to enhance or share their existing skills and experience.
Contributing your time and talents to the MS Walk committee is a meaningful opportunity to give back to your community and those affected by MS, all while meeting great people and having fun. MS Walks are our largest fundraising events across Canada and are only possible with the support of our AMAZING volunteers.
Becoming a part of the Organizing Committee will provide leadership and direction to the Volunteer Walk Committee in event planning efforts, to ensure a successful MS Walk on May 24th, 2020 in the Vancouver community.
We are looking to fulfill committee postions in the following roles:
- Check-in Coordinator
- Entrainment Coordinator
As a Committee Chair you will be responsible for:
- Leading the MS Walk Committee
- Providing support and leadership to committee members and fill gaps as needed to ensure a successful MS Walk.
- Delegating duties and ensuring assigned projects are completed successfully.
- Lead organizing committee meetings.
- Acting as the point person for the assigned community walk; liaise with the staff liaison.
- Networking and recruiting committee members with the support of the MS Society to fill vacancies.
As a Entertainment Coordinator you will be responsible for:
- Securing entertainment for event day, including stage area, start/finish line and children's tent. Oversee these areas on the event day and provide direction to event day volunteers and entertainers (as applicable)
- Working with the committee to create an event day experience that creates a community atmosphere and connection to our cause
- Help secure event MC and guest speaker
As a Check-in Coordinator you will be responsible for:
- Attending mandatory Check in Coordinator training
- Learning Check In procedure
- Setting up and taking down check-in, money counting and tune-up areas on event day and Saturday early pledge drop-off if applicable
- Supervising, supporting and training event day Check-in tent volunteers
All committee members share in the responsibility of:
- Championing the Walk in their community by promoting the event within their personal and professional networks and recruiting participants and event day volunteers
- Helping to source sponsorship (cash and in-kind donations) and prizing
What skills and experience are needed?
- Positive attitude and friendly demeanour
- Experience managing people is valued but not essential
- Strong leadership, communication, organizational and customer service skills
- Basic computer proficiency including email, internet searches, Word, Excel
- Self-motivated and reliable; able to fulfill duties on time
- Passion for funding MS research and supporting the MS Community
How will the MS Society support me?
- Committee Handbook
- Personal support from your Volunteer Engagement Coordinator and Walk Coordinator
- Role specific training
- Access to our Committee Resource Centre with tools, resources and information on all aspects of the event
- Volunteer collateral such as t-shirts, and a reference letter
- The MS Society Walk Team will provide support to the event in a variety of ways including participant services, marketing, PR, fundraising incentives.
How much time will I need to volunteer?
- Attend 1.5hr monthly committee meetings prior to the event from December through June
- Onsite for the event weekend, providing leadership to event day volunteers and overseeing specific area of work
- Meetings and work related to your role encompasses approximately 5-10 hours/month depending on role and size of event. Hours will increase as the event approaches.
What are the benefits of volunteering?
- Meet new people in your community
- Support our work with research and services
- Develop your skills and experience (and learn new ones)
- Have fun!
- Opportunity to work with a dedicated team of leadership volunteers, together creating a meaningful successful event