Family Place Assistant
We are looking for volunteers to provide a safe, happy atmosphere for children and parents in the playroom of our Family Place. This includes opening procedures, supervising and playing with children, preparing and serving snacks, and clean up. Interact with children in a kind and respectful manner.
Family place is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 to 11:30am.(North House), Mondays, Tuesday, and Thursdays 9:30-11:30am (South House), Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:30-11:30am (South Community Hall - 5024 Rumble St.)
- Welcoming New Parents:
- Take down chairs and put them around the tables.
- Set up for crafts and other activities.
- Help prepare snack in the kitchen.
- Assist playroom supervisor and engage children in play.
- Help children with crafts and clean-up after crafts.
- Settle children into a circle for Circle Time.
- Role model to care givers by getting to the floor and playing with the kids.
- Keep an eye on different activities in the room and keep areas tidy (e.g. sand, play dough, craft).
- Support parents by making referrals to other programs and staff at the Neighbourhood House.
- Leave the discipline to the parents or ask staff to help with it.
- Ensure kitchen is clean and disinfected (all dishes we use need to be cleaned, washed and put into the dishwasher for sterilizing).
- All supplies and toys are to be put away.
- Carpet needs to be vacuumed and floor needs to be swept.
Ability to work with large groups of toddlers and preschoolers and interact with parents. Energetic, patient, good at conflict resolution, with a sense of developmental levels and abilities. Valid reference and criminal records check.
Must have an intermediate level (Level 3 and 4) of verbal and written English. Fluency in another language would be an asset (i.e. Korean, Hungarian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Farsi or Russian).
Volunteer orientation (1 hour)
Early years training (1 hour)
Cleared RCMP Crim check.