Client Services Volunteer - Health Equipment Loan Program (HELP)
The Health Equipment Loan Program (HELP) offers mobility, independence and safety to people recovering from illness or surgery or wishing to spend their final days in their own homes. The HELP Client Services Volunteer provides administrative support like answering the phone, and coordinating health equipment loans and returns.
You will enjoy:
- Culture: an organization that is guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality
- Flexibility: a shedule that is flexible and fits into your life, vacation plans and family commitments.
- Meaningful Work: you will helping people recovering from illness and surgery to stay in their home longer.
Who you are:
- You are client focused – you connect with people and are focused on making them feel comfortable, providing solutions to support their health care needs.
- You are adaptive - you can shift gears from answering phone enquiries to taking donations, and rolling up your sleeves to get things done.
- You are professional - maintaining highly confidential information to protect client privacy, and support safe use of equipment, and provincial sanitation standards.
- You are calm under pressure – and work with compassion in a systematic way to balance competing priorities.
- You communicate effectively - and will adapt your communication style to work collaboratively with your Red Cross colleagues and clients alike.
In this role you will:
- Select the appropriate medical equipment to match health professional referrals, complete minor adjustments to ensure appropriate fit for clients
- Provide instruction(s) on basic equipment use and respond to client enquiries regarding equipment set-up, returns, repairs and loan extensions
- Connect with clients and health care providers to verify referral requests, facilitate the loaning and returning of health equipment, make reminder calls, and assist with equipment recalls if required.
- Accept financial and equipment donations to the Canadian Red Cross, and issues tax and non-tax receipts as required.
- Other duties as required.
- Interest and/or experiene in providing exceptional customer service to Health Equipment Loan Program clients. Excellent interpersonal skills, including working with thein a busy environment. Ability to empathize with clients concerns to deliver service with compassion
- This position requires a satisfactory Canadian criminal record reference and vulnerable sector check.
- Most volunteer shifts in the Health Equipment Loan Program are four hours, however some people choose to do longer shifts. Full training is provided, and most volunteers are fully trained after four shifts.
- Some lifting of equipement is required for HELP postions. We suggest volunteers be capable of lifting up to 50lbs.
- Full training is provided, however volunteers should be comfortable with using a computer, and have good written and conversational English. Other languages are considered an asset.
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate in a team environment.
- Office work is performed in typical office environment, and warehouse space.
- The hours of work for this position may vary but are generally four hours per week, either mornings or afternoons from Monday to Friday. Weekday evenings or Saturday shifts are available in some locations.
- Personal protective equipment will be supplied as required, and full training is provided.
This position is available in the following locations:
Lower Mainland region: Abbotsford, Burnaby, Langley, Maple Ridge, North Vancouver, Port Coquitlam, Richmond, Squamish, Vancouver, Surrey, White Rock
BC Southern Interior region: 100 Mile House, Ashcroft, Castlegar, Cawston, Clearwater, Cranbrook, Edgewood, Elkford, Creston, Enderby, Fernie, Grand Forks, Invermere, Kamloops, Kaslo, Kelowna, Lake Country, Lillooet, Merritt, Nelson, Oliver, Penticton, Princeton, Revelstoke, Salmon Arm, Trail, West Kelowna, Vernon
Coastal region/Vancouver Island: Campbell River, Courtenay, Duncan, Ladysmith, Lake Cowichan, Nanaimo, Port Alberni, Port Alice, Port Hardy, Powell River, Salt Spring Island, Victoria, Powell River & Courtenay
Northern BC and Yukon region: Chetwynd, Dawson Creek, Fort Nelson, Fort St. John, Kitimat, Mackenzie, Prince George, Prince Rupert, Quesnel, Smithers, Terrace, Whitehorse, YK, Williams Lake, Fort St John