Bingo assistants are needed to socialize with elders. To assist residents to travel from their rooms to attend bingo in another area of the New Vista Care Home. Assist elders in setting up their bingo cards, paying for bingo, playing bingo and getting back to their room at the end of the program. Help to move furniture and tidy up from refreshments as needed. If working with elders with memory loss/dementia the volunteer will have to monitor the elder closely.
Bingo caller will call a set of 7 games. Must speak clearly and slowly. The same 7 games are played in the same order each day.
Assistants needed Thursdays and Saturdays from 1:15 to 3:15pm.
We provide care, support and housing.
1) Get list of bingo players needing assistance from staff.
2) May have to help arrange tables and chairs.
3) Go to players room(s) and ask elders if they would like to go to bingo today. They may need encouragement. You may increase your chance of success by visiting with them for a while before asking about bingo.
4) Help escort the elders to bingo and remind them they need money (25 cents per card). They may have to get funds from staff people.
5) Help bingo players get their cards and get settled.
6) Buy your own cards and play bingo with elders.
7) Assist as needed with residents, bingo & refreshments.
8) At the end of the program tidy the area refreshment debris and cards. Wipe tables if necessary.
9) Return elders to their rooms.
Must enjoy seniors and bingo.
Able to assist unsteady or confused residents and able to push wheelchairs. Bingo Caller must have a strong, clear voice and patience for working with elders.
If needed, new volunteers will be taught how to play bingo & how to call bingo.
Learn new skills, make new friends, gain insight and experience for personal or career goals, improve self-confidence, gain satisfaction from giving to others.
During influenza season (December 1 to April 30) a flu vaccination is required OR care home visitors must wear masks. Masks are available at the front door of the care home. Coffee / Tea / Hot Chocolate are free for volunteers. Requires attending a Volunteer Orientation with staff, completing a TB checklist, completing an Immunization checklist, plus filling out an application form including two references. Requires a criminal records check through the Ministry of Public Safety or a Police Record Check through your local police detachment - this is discussed at the Volunteer Orientation.