Artworks Activity Volunteer
Artworks activity volunteers assist the Art Program Coordinator with the running of their art programs for wheelchair bound elders living in a long term care facility. Volunteers will help with set up and with keeping art box/cart clean, organized, and well stocked. Invite and assist elders to and from the activity area/space. Encourage elders to participate in arts and crafts activities and socialize with them while they do these activities. Assist coordinator with clean up and displaying of completed art work.
Note: We currently only have opportunities open on Thursday's during the day.
- Keep art box/cart clean, organized, and well stocked.
- Report to the Art Program Coordinator or neighborhood as directed.
- Encourage elders to participate in arts and crafts activities.
- Invite and assist elders to and from a suitable activity area/space.
- Motivate elders to participate in meaningful arts and crafts activities.
- Assist with displaying of completed works
- Assist with set up and clean up
- Able to assist elders who have physical and/or cognitive challenges.
- Physically capable of pushing elders in wheelchairs and carrying out physical tasks as required.
- Able to communicate well in verbal and written English.
- Ability to speak another language such as Cantonese and asset but not nessisary.
- Friendly, reliable, patient and respectful.
- Able to follow direction and enjoy teamwork.
- Willingness to listen, learn and develop effective ways to interact with elders.
- Sincere interest in the social needs elders.
- Interest in art an asset but no previous experience is needed.
- General orientation session with Volunteer Resources
- Assignment specific training with the Art Program Coordinator
- Gain valuable experience with elders in a healthcare environment.
- Enhance the quality of life of elders
- Access to educational opportunities, references, scholarships and monthly draw prizes.
- Opportunity to volunteer with Art Program Coordinators and elders.