Wonder Gallery - Early Childhood Playmaster
Science World British Columbia is a charitable organization dedicated to engaging British Columbians in science and inspiring future science and technology leadership throughout our province.
Position: Wonder Gallery – Early Childhood Playmaster
Reports to: Wonder Gallery Curator and Science Facilitators
What is Wonder?
Wonder is a dedicated, permanent space for children ages 0-5 years and their families. At 3,300 square feet, it includes numerous exhibits, a family washroom and a nursing room. Wonder is focused on providing opportunities for important hands on experiences – inquiry and exploration. It is a gallery allowing children to “learn by playing”.
What will you do?
• Ensure visitors have a positive, fun experience in Wonder
• Provide positive feedback to the children in Wonder
• Supervise “Make and Take” activity tables and provide assistance to the children
• Assist children and caregivers in the Wonder Gallery when questions arise
• Assist in maintaining and supervising all areas
• Assist with activities in the Discovery Lab, as required
• Assist with story time in the gallery
• Interact with children at the different areas within the gallery
• Assist with Wonder boxes
Can you commit to?
• a 2-4 hour volunteer shift once a week
• a minimum of 100 hours of volunteer time
• attending our mandatory orientation session – Saturday, June 24, 2017 (8:30am-2:00pm)
• gallery specific training
Monday to Friday 10:00am – 5:00pm
Weekends 10:00am – 6:00pm
Who will qualify for this role?
• You have knowledge of child development
• You have taken one or more ECE course
• You must have some experience working with and supervising children ages infant to 5 years old, and knowledge of how children explore and learn through play
• You enjoy working with infants to 5 years old and their caregivers
• You thrive on learning new things and being challenged with new projects
• You represent Science World with enthusiasm
• You are professional, responsible and enjoy interacting with the public
Science World volunteers receive a wide array of benefits, including challenging and rewarding job responsibilities, education programs, training, lounge privileges, inclusion in staff events, restaurant and store discounts and a comprehensive recognition program. Criminal record check will be required for all selected volunteers