Treasurer | Board of Directors
About Vancouver Urban Farming Society:
The Vancouver Urban Farming Society (VUFS) works to strengthen urban farming through education, networking, advocacy and business support towards our mission of growing urban farming in Vancouver and beyond. We do so through programming and events, maintaining a strong network, working with policymakers, as well as public education and engagement. We are a six-year-old non-profit society that was largely founded and continues to be governed by urban farmers. Vancouver’s local food movement is dynamic and exciting as various urban farming organizations develop different approaches to growing food in the city. Learn more about the different urban farm organizations and VUFS at http://www.urbanfarmers.ca.
About the Position:
VUFS is looking for a Chartered Accountant or Certified General Accountant to join our volunteer Board of Directors as Treasurer starting as soon as possible to perform the roles and responsibilities outlined below. We are particularly interested in recruiting a CA/CGA with the expertise to assist us in maintaining the financial systems that our outgoing Board Treasurer has implemented.
The Treasurer position is a 2-year term with an approximate time commitment of 5 hours per month. Please note that while VUFS currently convenes monthly for board meetings, we are moving toward a committee structure where we will be meeting less frequently as a board, and more in small groups.
Treasurer Roles and Responsibilities:
- Sit as a member of the VUFS Board of Directors, attend board and committee meetings, and regularly report to the board on any key financial events, trends, concerns, and assessment of fiscal health
- Manage the finances of the society, including the board’s review and action related to financial responsibilities
- Administer fiscal matters of the organization
- Provide annual budget to the Board of Directors for members’ approval as well as other appropriate financial reports
- Develop and oversee the society’s financial policies and procedures
- Work with VUFS staff to develop systems for managing the society’s finances
- Recommend to the board whether the organization should have an audit and assists in the selection of an auditor, if needed, and meets with them annually
Experience as a Chartered Accountant or Certified General Accountant, with solid bookkeeping skills and a willingness to apply your professional expertise to managing the finances of Vancouver Urban Farming Society.