Parent Connectors (United Way Avenues of Change)
Parent Connectors are passionate parents or grandparents who volunteer within community family drop-in programs, promote a culture of parents supporting parents, and help parents learn about additional services for families with children aged 0-6.
- Completion of Parent Connector training (eight sessions, two hour long each)
- Attend weekly volunteer shift at assigned community program site aimed at children 0-6
- Welcome and interact with all families attending program with friendly conversation
- Help new families settle into program routine, and facilitate connections amongst new and participating families.
- Assist program staff with daily activities such as activity set-up, snack preparation, and clean-up duties.
- In collaboration with, and with guidance of program staff, model positive interaction with parents/caregivers and their children.
- Participate in program activities such as Circle Time, and encourage parents/caregivers to participate with their children.
- Assist parents/caregivers connect to program site staff to speak about any concerns/enquiries
- Provide language support to families (if Parent Connector has additional language capacity) as needed.
- Coquitlam River neighbourhood resident
- Parent or grandparent
- Interested in learning about programs/services for families with children aged 0-6
- Outgoing, friendly, and comfortable in reaching out to families to engage in conversation
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Can commit to eight weeks training (two-hour sessions, once per week)
- Can commit to one weekly shift for six months
Training Tuesdays, 9:30am - 11:30am starting October 4 to November 22. Application deadline Wednesday September 28th.