Minds in Motion Assistant
Minds in Motion® is a fitness and social program for people with early symptoms of Alzheimers disease or another dementia to enjoy with a friend or family member. A 45-minute fitness program is followed by an hour of socializing and activities such as board games, trivia games, word games, bingo or ping pong, etc.
This program runs every Friday from 9:45 to 11:45 am. Volunteers are required to be there from 9:15am to 12pm to assist with set up and clean up.
Under the direction of the fitness instructor, provide assistance to participants during the fitness part of the program
- Assist with the set up and clean-up of refreshments, and with games and activities for the social part of the program
- Assist the facilitator to ensure everyone has the opportunity to be included, has an enjoyable experience, and is able to participate in activities and socializing. This may include spending one-to-one time with participants who need extra support.
-please note this program runs Wednesdays from 1-3pm. Volunteers are required to be there from 12:30 to 3:30pm. A 6 month commitment is required.
Enjoys being with people, and is comfortable reaching out and including others
- Patient, friendly and fun; comfortable in a non-competitive, inclusive environment
- Experience working with older adults helpful
- Knowledge and experience with dementia helpful
- Physically able to participate in the fitness part of the program
- Able to lift light weights (supplies)
Participate in the fitness part of the program
- Learn about dementia
- Gain experience with people with early stage dementia and care partners
- Inclusion in the volunteer recognition program
- Free parking
- Refreshments while volunteering Required Commitment: Long-Term (6 months to 1 Year)