Information and Referral Volunteer (Tuesdays)
We are looking for friendly, dedicated Information and Referral volunteers to help seniors find assistance and gain access to information and services in their communities. Information and Referral volunteers should be available on Tuesdays from 10:00am-12:00pm.
The South Granville Seniors Centre is a non-profit seniors' centre located in the South Granville area that offers a variety of social, recreational, and wellness programs and services. Our Information and Referral program provides an essential service to low income, socially-isolated, and marginalized seniors by connecting them with legal, government, social, and educational services to meet their needs.
- Develop a working knowledge of local resources and services for seniors.
- Help direct senior clients to resources concerning a number of topics, including housing, government benefits, the BC bus pass program, meal programs, health issue-specific services, and more. Information is provided in person or by phone.
- Help clients access and fill out government forms.
- Recognize potential crisis situations and develop strategies to deal with such situations. Must report to Executive Director if senior is in a crisis situation.
- Record and keep track of referrals and collect statistics for evaluation purposes.
- Communicate effectively with South Granville Seniors Centre’s staff and volunteers.
- Availability for initial training.
- Availability to volunteer on Tuesdays from 10:00am-12:00pm.
- A minimum 3-month commitment.
- Familiarity with community resources for seniors is an asset, but is not required. Training will be provided.
- Good interpersonal skills and a warm, empathetic manner.
- Ability to communicate with sensitivity to senior clients from a variety of backgrounds.
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality.
- Prior experience working with seniors or in Information and Referral is an asset, but is not required.
Benefits & Recognition
- Gain knowledge about services and resources for seniors, as well as practical experience working with older adults in a non-profit environment.
- Have an opportunity to give back to the community in a meaningful way and positively influence the lives of marginalized seniors.
- Reference letters and certificates available for regular volunteers (after 3 months).
- Volunteer application & interview
- Criminal Records check (covered by South Granville Seniors Centre)