Income Tax Volunteer
Volunteers prepare the returns for eligible individuals. When you become a volunteer for the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program, you are helping people in your community. Volunteers help citizens who have low income and a simple tax situation prepare their income tax return.
- be 18 years of age or older;
- •be a Canadian resident;
- •have a valid social insurance number (SIN);
- •not be an undischarged bankrupt or the trustee of an undischarged bankrupt;
- •be up to date with their tax returns, as required under the Income Tax Act;
- •be compliant with the CRA;
- •not be engaged in any activities of fraud, dishonesty, breach of trust, or other conduct of a disreputable nature.
1. Complete the individual volunteer registration Volunteer Registration ASAP.
2. Renew your EFILE account or register for a new one if you did not have one last year EFILE Registration ASAP.
3. If you do not register for an EFILE account, a Police Records Check (PRC) completed within the last 3 years is required. Show it to your organization coordinator to confirm the date of the PRC Local law enforcement ASAP.
4. Affiliate with a participating CVITP organization (Hinton FCSS) ASAP.
5. Register and attend live webinar training (or view recorded webinars). Webinar registration instructions will be emailed to organizations and volunteers Jan-Feb.
6. Verify that security screening and registration is complete by February 15.
7. If using your own computer then obtain UFile software from your organization coordinator and install it on your computer Instructions for how to install and register UFile Mid to late February.
8. Ensure you have an adequate supply of Form TIS60, Taxpayer Authorization or know how to print the form from the UFile software.
Inquire now to be an income tax volunteer, because it takes multiple weeks to be approved by CRA as an income tax volunteer. Mandatory training is coming in February. Make a difference and apply today. For more details, phone FCSS at 780-865-6036.