MC2 Program Volunteer
This is an after school program that aims to equip participating children with the cognitive, academic, and cultural skills and attitudes they need to succeed in Canadian schools and society. MC2 utilizes a variety of activities (computer games, board games, writing tasks, etc.) to promote social, leadership, thinking, and literacy skills. Volunteer mentors work alongside the children as partners throughout every activity.
Children with mentors experience incredible life benefits such as:
•Becoming 80% more likely to finish high school
•Becoming 2-4x less likely to bully, lie, cheat, steal or become involved in drugs and/or alcohol
•78% of our kids coming from a family history of social assistance (parents depending on welfare, food banks, etc., to make ends meet) do not experience the same challenges in their adulthood
•Their life time income is $300,000 dollars more, on average, than youth who did not have mentors
Benefits & Recognition:
People who mentor:
• Gain personal growth and development
• Have a positive new perspective on life
• Make a positive difference in the life of a child and the community
• See meaningful improvements in their own mental and physical health
• Report increased levels of happiness and energy
Deliverables / Duties
Once or twice a week a volunteer will work alongside the children after school. Volunteers will agree to maintain their commitment throughout the period of the school year (Sept or starting date – June).
• Police check • Child welfare check • 1.5 – 2 hour screening interview • 1.5 -2 hours volunteer training seminar • Alberta Mentoring Partnership Certificate
There are no specific skills or experience required, however all volunteers are screened to gauge their appropriateness for our programs.