Excel Program Volunteer
EXCEL is a collaboration between Boys & Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters (BGCBigs) and McKee School that brings together caring adult mentors with elementary school students with the goal of improving academic confidence and grades.
•A non-profit supervised after school homework program designed to help students (Kindergarten to Grade Six) who struggle with their schoolwork.
•To help students complete their homework assignments, prepare for exams, improve their study skills, improve their academic performance, and increase their self-confidence.
•To support each student’s individual learning needs.
•To Excite, Challenge, and Empower Learners, so that students can realize their full potential and be inspired to make their dreams come true!
There are no specific skills or experience required, however all volunteers are screened to gauge their appropriateness for our programs.
Benefits & Recognition:
People who mentor:
• Gain personal growth and development
• Have a positive new perspective on life
• Make a positive difference in the life of a child and the community
• See meaningful improvements in their own mental and physical health
• Report increased levels of happiness and energy
Deliverables / Duties
*Earn 3.00 credits in the EDPY 397: Mentoring Children & Adolescents course by completing 30
hours in our program! The EDPY 397 course is open to students in all faculties, and there are no
required prerequisites. This course is also available to Open Studies Students!
For more information, please visit: www.excelprogram.ca
• Police check • Child welfare check • 1.5 – 2 hour screening interview • 1.5 -2 hours volunteer training seminar • Alberta Mentoring Partnership Certificate